Sunday, September 11, 2011

2001...A Different Remembering

With everyone else being introspecitve and going deeper into their memory banks of 9/11, I decided to be a bit of a contratian and go a different direction. This isn't to say that I didn't pause and remember the NYFD, NYPD and all the other first responders, Flight 93, or everyone in our Armed Services. I have. To me, the best way of remembering an tragedy of this scale isn't to *only* mourn, but to remember the good too. Even at funerals, I try to not to dwell on the current and sad situation. I'd much rather remember the past, and laugh at all the good times. Yes, to me, a funeral isn't so much the mourning of passing, but the celebration of someones life. I'll be taking that point to an even further length today. Here I'll be looking at how much the world has changed since 2001.


The week of Septmeber 11, 2001 the folling was true:

-The Top 5 Billboard Top 100 songs at the time-
5 - Hit Em Up Style, Blu Cantrel. I can't help but laugh at this. I mean, come on. This song is so awful. Then again, nowadays we have Soulja Boy...Tomato/tomato I suppose (Wow... doesn't translate at all in text. Oh well, you know what I meant).

4 - Someone To Call My Lover - Janet Jackson. Is this real life? Seriously? Wow. Apparently 2001 was in desperate need of good music. I honestly don't even remember this song. I just looked it up, and I do kind of remember it now. Fantastic stuff.

3 - Where The Party At? - Jagged Edge Feat. Nelly. Now *this* song I remember. I can still rattle off at least half the lyrics right now. I'm so happy this track is listed. I might bump to it right now actually. Little known fact: when I first started drinking, I drank nothing but Bacardi O and Limon, based solely on this song. Yep. Make fun of me for it the next time you see me.

2 - Fallin, Alicia Keys. I really have nothing bad to say a bout Alicia Keys. Shes a great pianist, singer and otherworldly song writer. Call me a girl, but she writes some dope music.

1 - I'm Real, Jennifer Lopez. I never was into her stuff, so I linked a much better version. And yes, I totally used to have a man-crsuh on Kenny Vasoli from TSL.

-Upon re-opening after the attacks, the NYSE had its 3rd largest single day drop in history. In one day of trading, the market plummeted 684.81 points. That's enough to make anyone with money in the market weep openly in the streets and start begging for change.

-A gallon of gas in the Midwest, cost an average of $1.64

-It had been been 82 and going on 83 years since the Boston Red Sox won a World Series. They've won 2 since then.

-It had been 92 years since the Chicago Cubs last won a World Series. That hasn't changed. Except now its 103 years. Maybe next year guys!!

-It was the year that this happened. I'd go into further detail about, but my nose starts to bleed everytime I think about it. Jeter, I hate you.

-In 2001, Shrek debuted. That is to say, the first Shrek.

-In January of 2001, Lizzie McGuire goes from pilot to show. Wow. Didn't see that one coming.

-The World meets JD, Turk, et al in the Scrubs premiere. I can't beleive this stuff. I swear I'm old.

Now, to end things, I just have to blow your minds, because this utterly floored me when I realized it... Miley Cyrus was 9 years old when the Towers fell. How's that for a little perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment