Friday, July 8, 2011

NL All Bat, No Glove All Stars

This is a follow up piece to my last article, regarding the amazing ability for major leagues to be prolific hitters and dismal fielders. And they say baseball is a 5 tool game. Ha.

1B - Prince Fielder
wRC: 74.1, most created
UZR/150: -2.8, 5th most lost
Now here's an ironic last name, amiright? Come on, it had to be said. Fielder has been the most productive 1B in the senior circuit (slightly edging out Joey Votto, 71.5 wRC). Given that that Albert Pujols has been more Albert Punchless this year, can't say I'm too shocked to see Fielder atop the list.

2B - Neil Walker
wRC: 38.1 6th most runs created
UZR/150: -7.0, 2nd most runs lost
Ok, so he's been 4% less than league average from an offensive standpoint, there really wasn't a good candidate here in the NL. It was either good at both eg Rickie Weeks, or pathetic at both, and I'm looking at you now, Dan Uggla.

SS - Starlin Castro
wRC: 49.4, 3rd most created
UZR/150: -7.9, 5th most lost
Another surprise to me. My eye test says Castro plays a decent field, but the numbers disagree. And knowing me, I go with my head over my eyes every time. Unless I have beer goggles on.

3B - Chase Headley
wRC: 47.1, 2nd most runs created
UZR/150: -8.2, 3rd most lost
Hmm. Didn't see this one coming. Partly because I never imagined Headley putting up a wOBA of .350 in that park, but mostly because I never would have ever imagined mentioning Chase Headley here. Ahh, the wonders of small sample size!

RF - Lance Berkman
wRC: 59.4, 3rd most runs created
UZR/150: -22.9, most lost
So he's not even played 400 innings there, I had to put him in this list. I mean, we all know he's had an incredible offensive year, but I think the amazing thing is his defense. I mean, 22.9 runs lost...thats just impressive. Thank the fantasy gods that defense doesn't matter in fantasy. Honorable mention to Aubrey Huff attempts at defense that compiled an amazing -119.0 UZR/150 in only 88 innings of play.

CF - Matt Kemp
wRC: 76.7, most by 13 runs
UZR/150: -14.9, most runs lost by 5
Honestly, I didn't even really need too look this up. I only did to get a firm definition of his numbers. Both his offensive and defensive numbers shouldn't surprise anyone by now. If only I owned him on any of my 3 teams #swoon. Anywho, I should stop saying anywho and get back to work.

LF - Ryan Braun
wRC: 68.3, most runs created by 14
UZR/150: -6.4
Yep, he is what he is. And that saying is probably the world's worst saying of all time, other than "thrown under the bus." Braun is a fantasy monster. It's no shocker to see him a top the offensive list, and near the bottom of the defensive spectrum.

C - Brian McCann
wRC: 52.6, most runs created by 13
DRS: -4, tied with Yadier Molina for most runs lost*
This is absurd. Yadier Molina is an animal of a defensive catcher. I hate defensive metrics sometimes. Either way, defensive metrics hate both McCann and Yadi. Go figure.

Obviously we are dealing with a preposterously small sample size yet. Most offensive numbers have normalized to some degree, but UZR really needs a 3 year sample to be truly accurate. This was done purely out of fun, and to make fun of some truly abysmal fielders.

No comments:

Post a Comment