Friday, July 8, 2011

Your Very Own(able) AL 2nd half Prospects

Mike Trout: Got the call today. Its about time. Oh, to the Majors, not to AAA? Hmm...about that. Anytime a 19 year old gets the call up to the majors, I've skeptical. Put thoughts of Heyward aside, it is exceedingly rare to see such a young player get called up and perform like that. By all accounts he plays a breathtaking CF, and he was toying with AA pitchers to the tune of .324/.415/.534. His BB/K numbers looks strong he's even flashed a little power. MLE translates that to .256/.326/.399 with 6 HR and 22 SB. I'd expect about that, but with a touch more average and OBP. ETA: now!

Desmond Jennings: Currently in AAA. Stickin with the CF theme, lets take a look at one of the most frequently asked prospects. Currently stickin with a .275/.370/.457 line, he's showing some patience and some power. Then again, he's 24, and in his 3rd year of AAA. The Rays are notorious for waiting until their prospects are 100% ready and 100% guaranteed to avoid Super 2 Status. MLE says thats a .232/.313/.374 line in the majors. I don't buy that. I'd expect for Jennings to get up and put more of a .260/.345/.400 line with 20 steals for the rest of the season. He has nothing left to prove. ETA: next week?

Brett Lawrie: .354/.415/.677 that line is PCL inflated, then further inflated from his launching pad of a home park. I'm not totally convinced that he'll stay at 2B for his career and Toronto seems to agree that 3B is more likely, but when he gets the call, I would expect this right hander with power to fit right in at the Rogers Center. Strike outs are a bit of a red flag for me, but his power is pretty legit, I would guess 25 over the course of a full season given that home park, and 20 steals wouldn't be unheard of for him. Snap him up. ETA: With Bautista now playing 3B, I would assume they would call up Lawrie soon and move Joey Bats back to RF. Call it August 1st.

Matt Moore: I drool when I think of him. I already own him in one of my keeper leagues, and fully intend to hang on to this boy for the rest of his natural life. He's crushing the feeble AA hitters presented to him right now and sports a .90 WHIP, 11.6 K/9 and miniscule 2.4 BB/9. He's faced 374 batter and fanned 125 of the poor guys. He works with a low to mid 90's heater, a plus-plus curveball and a slightly above average change-up. My only worry is his "unconventional" mechanics, but the jury is still out on what works and what doesn't for pitchers. He has a no hitter this year. He saved my sisters cat from a fire. He can make pancakes appear out of thin air. I am in luhhhh. And not just because my last love was also named Moore...as in Mandy. But I digress. I'd expect him to get a cup of coffee in September, but nothing before that. If you're in a keeper league, pounce on this boy the way 15 year old me wanted to pounce on Mandy Moore.

Stay tuned for your NL prospects tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment